Goulburn has had a long association with racing, with records indicating that racing commenced in 1838 when challenge races were held by NSW Police Troopers. They were held in the vicinity of where the Gordon Hotel is today located.
The oldest Goulburn Cup Trophy dates back to 1883 and is currently displayed at the Race Club.
The old track on Braidwood Road was opened on 12 October 1949 and the main race of the day was won by Tyrant, trained by Tommy Smith and ridden by George Moore.
The Goulburn & District Racing Club Limited was founded in 1969 after a combined Club known as the Goulburn & District Racing and Trotting Club was disbanded. Mr Jim Bell, a past Chairman of the Australian Jockey Club was the inaugural President of the current Club.
The Club was incorporated in 1989 and is now under the control of eleven elected Directors. Election of Directors is held annually in November and nomination is open to all financial members.
In 1999 the Club moved to its new premises in Racecourse Drive off Taralga Road. The Club is now in charge of its own destiny and has no constraints.
Goulburn & District Racing Club Limited is in the business of providing the best thoroughbred racing in Country New South Wales, with the highest quality facilities for trainers and horses alike.